Who we are
TransferWise was founded in 2011 with a clear mission: Money without borders - so people and businesses can send and receive any currency effortlessly, whenever, wherever.
The heart of what we do is international money transfer and we’re committed to making it instant, convenient and fair for millions of people, all over the world.
TransferWise has proven success with our consumer facing product that brought us the $1.6bn market valuation in our last funding round. We are now opening the same product over the API for others to integrate on top of our balance and payments infrastructure.
It’s not an exaggeration to say that if we’re successful at building the vision we have for the our API, we’ll be changing the financial landscape for everyone, business and individuals alike.
We’re looking for some truly stand-out team members to join us on this project and help us make it a market-leading product for our customers.
What it’s really like to work here
At TransferWise, we do things a bit differently. There’s no corporate nonsense, and no old-fashioned hierarchy. Instead, we work in dozens of self-sufficient, autonomous teams. Think of them like start-ups within a start-up that learn from each other.
Each team picks the problems they want to solve. So there’s no micro-management. No hiding behind fancy job titles. And no one telling you what to do. You are your own boss. But you’ll get tons of guidance and plenty of support from talented, super-smart colleagues from all over TransferWise.
We’re going to be upfront — the way we work doesn’t suit everyone. But if freedom, autonomy, and life-affirming, head-scratching professional challenges rock your world, we could be a match made in heaven.
We hire engineers that empathise with our customers' problems, develop solutions and measure results. We’re proud of our engineering team - it's built an incredible product that’s changing the world. They operate autonomously within their teams, focusing relentlessly on our customers, there is no one telling you what to do. It’s your plan.
Our technology stack
In our mission, we are using the following tools and technologies:
- Java (Spring boot & Spring Cloud) for our microservices
- React and Angular for our frontend. (We are moving more and more to React)
- Kafka for our messaging broker
- Zookeeper for distributed algorithms (leader election, locking etc)
- PostgreSQL as our data store
- Eureka, Feign, Ribbon and Hystrix for service to service interaction (Moving to Envoy)
- Currently we are shipping our code in our physical datacenter but we are looking into quickly moving to AWS and Kubernetes
We always keep an eye out out for new technologies that will help improve the performance and robustness of our microservices and our frontend. We encourage continuous personal improvement and always seek out opportunities to learn, evolve and improve technically.
- Java and Spring Boot preferred (but not mandatory)
- You know how to Integrate RESTful APIs with client side applications and secure them
- You have hands on experience using backend MVC Frameworks (Spring, Rails, Django)
- Experience using database abstraction layers like Hibernate.
- Experience working with SQL databases, writing custom queries and designing schemas
- Understand and value automated tests for your code
- Write good technical documentation
- Adamant about backwards compatibility and contract testing
- Passionate about technology, product and user experience.
- Likes to tackle scalability challenges
- Ability to work independently and plan your own solutions to problems
- Open to travel and work with Engineering teams from UK and Estonia
- Broad understanding of the concept of minimum viable product, prototypes, ledgers, risk and FX
- You put the customer at the heart of everything you do and that empathy drives every decision you make
- Bonus Points:
- You understand Oauth2 standard
- Experience developing in a modern front end framework, AngularJS is preferred, but experience with Backbone, Ember, Knockout or React is also relevant
- Experience with interpreted languages like Python or Ruby
- Be a customer of TransferWise
- Learn TransferWise platform capabilities to its finest details
- Provide technical support to engineers from companies and partners who are integrating with TransferWise API
- Make sure our support is accurate, timely and consistent in relation to our partners.
- Maintain and create integration documentation that enables us to scale without increasing support contact.
- Define improvement the API interfaces based on customer feedback
- Participate in sales to showcase what our API can do, technically and functionally
- Ultimately, make technical support role redundant. Customers should be able to achieve everything they wish via self-servicing
Apart from the all-expenses-paid company trips, stock options in one of Europe’s most hotly tipped startups, a laptop and team lunches every Friday, you won’t get much in the way of extras. However, we will give you 25 days holiday a year (plus public holidays), a fun, friendly atmosphere, plenty of opportunities to grow and the chance to be part of our little revolution. Oh, and coffee, there’s plenty of coffee.