Skookum is seeking a Software Engineer to join our DevOps Practice. In this role you will work alongside developers, operators, and technical leadership to build out processes and tools that ensure quality and security throughout the software delivery lifecycle.
About The Team
The Skookum DevOps practice works with clients to help them deliver value more reliably, rapidly, and securely. We are vendor and technology agnostic, though we focus primarily on helping clients migrate to Kubernetes-based delivery models. We care deeply about building out sustainable processes that can be 100% owned and operated by our clients once we’re gone. We accomplish this by combining mentorship, best in class technology, and a strong sense of developer empathy. As DevOps practitioners, we also understand that while our clients typically come to us for our technical expertise, we must also be prepared to approach organizational and cultural problems in the software delivery lifecycle
You are always learning. You are always growing. You are always seeking to improve yourself and those around you. You are a human first, a developer second. You are willing and able to partake in and lead communication with project stakeholders. You should be able to explain technical constraints to both technical and non-technical audiences.
You will be successful in this role if you:
- Have written and delivered software in production as part of a team
- Work well with others
- Are comfortable challenging the status quo and thinking outside the box
- Are always looking for ways to automate your toil
- Can explain the advantages of containers (and could come up with some disadvantages)
- Are interested in improving the software delivery lifecycle using frameworks like Kubernetes
- Are comfortable working in polyglot environments (at some point you’ll need to debug code written in Java, nodejs, python, groovy, or golang)
- Are ready to help inform “build vs. buy” decisions
- Could field questions on topics like “DevOps,” “12 factor,” “Microservices,” “Continuous Delivery,“ or “Serverless”
- Don’t mind reading the Kubernetes RBAC documentation (too much!)
- Availability to travel to for one week once a month
- Ability to work 9am - 5pm ET
We build business critical applications. We tackle problems we don’t always know how to solve. Every day, every project is a new challenge to conquer. You will have the opportunity to push yourself and grow.
We have offices in beautiful Charlotte, NC and Denver, CO. We believe in work/life balance. Seriously. We offer a ton of competitive perks, including:
- Competitive pay
- Opportunities for leadership and career progression
- Open PTO policy
- Continuing education opportunities
- 401k matching
- Family-friendly health, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Friday company lunches, beer, and many snacks
- Health and wellness programs
- Other location specific perks (just ask!)
If this sounds like a place you’d like to be, send us your resume. Let us know why you’d be a good fit. If you already exist online with a blog, Twitter, Github, or other platform let us know that, too.