Samsara is seeking an Applied Machine Learning Engineer to join our San Francisco-based team. We build systems that leverage many kinds of real-time sensor data to improve efficiency and increase safety for our operational customers. We have released products such as intelligent dashcam video analysis and are working on many other applications of machine learning, particularly in computer vision.
As a software engineer focusing on applied machine learning at Samsara, you will design and develop the machine learning models and infrastructure that power Samsara's operational intelligence features. You will work on a small team to identify, and most importantly, implement solutions to these problems, building out the underlying infrastructure and workflows as necessary. This team works on algorithms that run in both our cloud analytics platform and edge devices. Sample applications might be improving dashcam-based lane-drift detection, implementing an edge-optimized object detection pipeline, or detecting anomalies in time-series sensor data.
You might work on:
- Retraining or optimizing open-source models to solve Samsara-specific problems,
- Designing experiments and interfaces to collect clean training data from our customers, or
- Building the backend or edge infrastructure to scale our training and inference workload.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with and fundamental understanding of common ML algorithms
- Strong programming/coding skills in at least one general purpose language.
An ideal candidate might:
- Be proficient in Python, C/C++, or Go
- Enjoy reading the latest academic papers in computer vision and machine learning
- Understand and have implemented seminal machine learning algorithms
- Have strong communication skills and a desire to collaborate across engineering teams
- Regularly ship production-quality software in a dynamic environment.