Tell me about Ovo…
Love programming? Want to build great software, using cutting edge technologies, with smart, passionate people?
The energy industry is changing, and technology is at the forefront of innovations that will transform it forever.
At OVO, technology and digital products are at the heart of our customer experience and they are key to our commercial success.
We were the first energy company to offer our Pay As You Go customers the opportunity to top up using their phone, the first company to offer real time electricity and gas usage data, and the first to release an apple watch App. We’ve been featured in Wired magazine for our ability to develop software to shatter the status quo.
But we’re just getting started.
We need to develop, test, and release software that scales, quickly and reliably. Over the last few years, we’ve built a highly skilled team of software engineers that is making a real impact to our business, and shaking up our industry.
We care about code quality, test automation and continuous delivery. Our developers drive our technology choices and own the software they create from their laptop all the way through to production. We’re building a better energy company, and we’re doing it one Git commit at a time.
Right, I’m convinced… but where in the world of OVO will I be working?
VCharge is the centrepiece of OVO’s ambition in becoming the world leader in distributed energy technology. It is an intelligent control layer running on top of the already existing energy infrastructure, giving both the market players as well the end consumers a fast forward ticket to the distributed energy future. VCharge will be the nervous system of the OVO’s energy IoT landscape sitting between grid operators and end customers, and connecting energy suppliers, energy IoT and VPP.
That sounds great! What will I be doing?
- Own, architect, build and scale parts of our microservice platform.
- Drive both product and technical improvements.
- Communicate your ideas, engage with different teams and encourage debate and collaboration.
- Mentor and develop the skills of your team members.
- Share your innovative technical ideas with the wider team internally, and ideally building a public profile through our Tech Blog.
That sounds super exciting, but… Do I have what it takes?
- Experience designing and building scalable, distributed applications.
- Expert understanding of multiple languages such as Scala, Go, Python or Node.
- Experience with asynchronous event driven programming using distributed commit logs.
- A security conscious approach to development, especially in regards to IoT integrations.
- Experience working in a full continuous delivery environment.
- Experience driving automation across build, test and release processes.
- An exceptional people person and communicator, able to share your ideas effectively.
- A leader in your field of expertise, perhaps speaking at events or running meet-ups.
- Recognised widely as a go to person on one or more technical areas.
- A keen mentor of others, taking pride in helping other engineers improve their technical skills.
- Experience leading communities of practises or teams.
- You consistently exhibit our technology behaviours at a high level.
Hurrah! That sounds like me!