Building on the rapid success and adoption of MongoDB, we are delivering applications and services that make it easier and faster to scale database deployments. These next-generation applications currently include a Cloud SaaS offerings, database visualization tool, BI connector, and on prem database management. We’re passionate about building better tools for the better database.
Application and Integration (A&I) Technical Services Engineers use their exceptional problem solving and customer service skills, along with their deep technical experience, to advise customers and to solve their complex MongoDB problems. Technical Service Engineers are experts in the putting the pieces together - whether that’s starting from scratch or inserting MongoDB into existing infrastructure. And work to ensure that MongoDB users are successful with our suite of MongoDB application-layer products. We’re looking for engineers who get the big picture of how “big data” and “web-scale” systems are successfully assembled and operated.
You will be a key part of our elite Technical Services organization that supports MongoDB customers worldwide, with teams in locations like New York, Austin, Palo Alto, Sydney, Dublin and Tel Aviv.
Cool things you’ll do
MongoDB is on a mission to change the way people think about databases. Along the way, our customers encounter questions and issues about how our approach to databases works for their use case. In Technical Services, it's our job to help these people.
You will be working alongside our largest customers, solving their complex issues - resolving questions on architecture, performance, recovery, security, and everything in between. You'll be an authority on best practices in running MongoDB at scale, whatever that scale may be. You'll be an advocate for customers' needs - collaborating with our product management and development teams on their behalf. And you'll contribute to internal projects, including software development of support tools for performance, benchmarking, and diagnostics.
What you need
We consider all candidates with an eye for those who are self taught, curious, and multi-faceted.
You will have strong experience in at least two of the following areas:
- Application Architecture
- Systems Administration
- Network Administration
- Solution architecture, automation, or hardware, performance tuning and benchmarking
- If you have an operations background, we prefer experience administering large-scale production environments, including hardware, operating systems (e.g. Linux, Windows), networks (including firewalls and load balancers), as well as cloud-based resources (e.g. AWS, Azure, OpenStack)
It’s crucial for every candidate that they can check off all of these boxes
- Comfortable working at the command line
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Genuine desire to help people
- Uncontrollable urge to investigate and solve problems, with advanced diagnostic and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to think on your feet and remain calm under pressure
- Desire and ability to rapidly learn a wide variety of new technical skills
- Strong teamwork: willingness and ability to get help from team members when required, and the good judgment to know when to seek help
- End user experience using system monitoring, backup, and operations management technologies (including but not limited to Cloud Manager, New Relic, Glacier, HP Operations Manager, IBM Tivoli, Nagios, or Oracle Cloud)
- Experience with cloud-based infrastructure solutions such as AWS, Azure, OpenStack, or Google Compute Engine
- Technical writing and/or training
- Experience using distributed version control systems, and in particular git
- Previous work experience with JIRA and SalesForce Service Cloud
- Experience using or managing MongoDB or other database solutions (RDBMS or NoSQL)
- General knowledge or experience with automation technologies such as Chef or Puppet
- Understanding of data storage technologies
- Language skills (Japanese, Mandarin, Korean, German, Spanish, French are all plusses)
- Competitive salary, pension contribution and equity
- Free lunches Tuesdays and Fridays, catered breakfast Monday through Friday and unlimited free snacks, refreshments and drinks
- VHI Health cover, dental cover, travel insurance and life assurance
- Bike to work scheme, commuter tax saver scheme, secure bike storage
- Regular performance, compensation and development reviews
- Unlimited vacation policy means a flexible way to take time off
- 20 weeks Maternity & Paternity leave to spend time with new arrivals
- Wellness programme with classes in local gym
We commit to creating a culture of inclusion by seeking and valuing employees from different backgrounds and circumstances. This is cultivated by learning from and respecting each other’s differences. We firmly believe that everyone deserves to feel valued and safe in the workplace, and we acknowledge that underrepresented groups may not always feel this way. We recognise that a diverse workforce is the best way to broaden our perspectives, foster innovation, and enable a sustainable competitive advantage.