Massdrop Engineering is a small, fast-moving team dedicated to fundamentally changing the way enthusiast communities buy and interact online. We’re looking to grow our engineering team with a strong and seasoned web developer who ideally has experience with React and Node.
Who You Are
As a Principal Software Engineer you will be a key contributor to technology at Massdrop. The ideal candidate should be strong in a majority of the bullet points below:
- Able to turn business objectives into researched, working technical solutions.
- Have a history of strong technical ownership on past web development projects - were you the “go to” person to get something built/investigated/fixed?
- Feel comfortable in lead position - able to guide a small team to success on a large project.
- Understand the value of team processes and are able to help others abide by them.
- Are comfortable providing estimates, both rough and detailed.
- Have experience with “ops” work - able to resolve production breakages or emergencies while maintaining a cool head.
- Have strong written and verbal communication - especially when interacting with other disciplines such as Product Management and Design.
- Enjoy mentoring others.
Timeline for Success
First 60 Days:
- Fix an array of bugs designed to give you a tour of our systems
- Complete small/medium size technical projects
Participate in our development roadmap, building systems and features for any of our top-level projects (Website, Messaging, Platform). Embrace and master team processes. Get familiar with your coworkers. Deepen expertise in our technology, demonstrate mastery and establish credibility within the team through your strong performance and contributions.
6 Months - 1 Year:
Meet or exceed expectations for a fully ramped up Principal Software Engineer:
- Able to quickly pick up new technology and adapt it to business needs
- Able to dive into areas of uncertainty/ambiguity and come out with a quality solution
- Thinks foremost in terms of performance and maintainability of any new code decision
- Expert in core languages and systems used by Massdrop
- Able to present technical options with trade offs
- Can track and accurately estimate development time for large and small projects
- Able to lead projects/issues with a demonstrated authority on the technical requirements involved
- Ownership of some parts of the codebase; become the “go-to” person for specific tech
- Is effective at working with others toward solutions
- Can clearly communicate requirements and solutions to other team members
- Be a source of answers and guidance for your team members
- Participate in troubleshooting ops issues
- Champion of (good) team processes, suggest improvements for inefficient ones
Who We Are
Massdrop puts community first. We create high-quality, custom gear, apparel, and products inspired and designed by our online communities. We provide over 6 million members a place to connect, discuss, buy products together, and learn about the things that are important to them.
The engineering team contains of a number of seasoned developers who have scaled web apps beyond 10M daily active users. We have seen a lot of what doesn’t work in our past engineering teams and distilled the right practices and processes to ensure a healthy, sane, and efficient work environment. We’re all about quality engineering, not big egos; the best ideas win here.
If this sounds like the right environment for you to continue your software engineering career, then please submit an application. We’d love to talk with you!