At GenapSys we are working to change the world of healthcare and diagnostics; we are developing a DNA-sequencing technology that will revolutionize the world of healthcare. Our system will enable fast, accurate, and ultra-low cost genetic tests in order to better understand (and ultimately treat) genetic diseases such as Cancer, Parkinson’s, Diabetes, and Alzheimer's, just to name a few. GenapSys was founded by Dr. Hesaam Esfandyarpour and incubated over 6 years (2004-2010) at Stanford University.
Our team brings together an incredibly diverse and multidisciplinary set of backgrounds and skills – from electrical and mechanical engineers to physicists, chemists, microfluidic engineers, molecular biologists, bioinformaticians, mathematicians and more. Together we will advance scientific and medical knowledge and improve human health through cheaper, faster, and more accurate DNA sequencing technologies. We are working cross-functionally to make a great impact in the world – join us on that mission!
We are currently looking for a talented and organized team player to join our fast-paced startup as a Lead Systems Engineer to drive development of reliable, high quality DNA sequencing instrument products.
The ideal candidate for this role will have extensive experience using broad, system-level understanding of Life Science instrument product designs and applications to define requirements, design and implement comprehensive tests, troubleshoot and resolve wide-ranging and complex issues, and manage transfer to and escalations from Manufacturing and Service.
If this opportunity sounds exciting, and you have the desire to redefine the current paradigm of DNA sequencing, please apply.
- Closely collaborate with design engineers, Manufacturing, Service, application scientists, and users to drive successful introduction of products to market.
- Lead definition, documentation, and implementation of appropriately sensitive and comprehensive system, subsystem, and component test strategies for DNA sequencer and related automated workflow instrumentation products, including characterization and testing to establish design verification, functional performance, component and system lifetime, and compliance with safety, EMC, environmental, and medical device regulations.
- Lead definition of instrument and subsystem requirements and establish traceability documentation between requirements, design, test plans, and test results.
- Provide knowledge transfer to and hands-on training for Manufacturing and Service.
- Hands-on troubleshooting and resolution of system, mechanical, fluidic (e.g. leaks, bubble management, clogs, etc…), and controls (electrical, embedded firmware, and software) issues escalated from users, Manufacturing, and Service.
- Analyze failures, derive and report statistical analysis such as Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF), work with mechanical, electrical, and/or software design engineers to identify root cause, and recommend and verify corrective actions.
- Lead sustaining activities to keep prototype instruments up and running, including but not limited to supervising technicians and keeping inventory
- B.S. in Engineering, preferably Mechanical, Electrical, Systems, or Mechatronics.
- At least 8 years of post academic, pertinent experience, driving successful introduction of reliable Life Science laboratory instrumentation products to the market.
- Skills and experience must be broad and cross-functional (mechanical, fluidic, and controls).
- A demonstrated track record of successful, on-time execution of relevant responsibilities
Relevant Skills and Experience:
- Sound analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- Innovative, independent, driven, and results-oriented.
- Depending on the situation, able to appropriately think and communicate broadly about abstract concepts or focus comprehensively on in-depth details.
- Methodical and comprehensive, yet flexible and able to easily adjust to evolving requirements and navigate in a fast-paced environment to meet tight schedules.
- Effective and proactive written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to effectively and efficiently collaborate within a cross-functional array of mechanical, electrical, and software engineers, application scientists and users, suppliers, and Manufacturing and Service technicians.
- Knowledge of small and microfluidic components and systems (e.g. complex manifolds and chips), fluid, pressure, and mechanical sensors, small liquid isolation and selector valves, electromechanical components, mechanisms, and assemblies, liquid and air pumps, heaters, cooling systems, and electronic/firmware controls through custom PCBAs.
- Experience working with test suppliers to bring products successfully through regulatory compliance (safety, EMC, environmental) for C.E., UL, or equivalent certification.
- Ability to analyze and apply understanding of mechanical and electrical designs, software and firmware code, algorithms, and interfaces, to efficiently troubleshoot and resolve issues. This includes the ability to use software tools to open and review mechanical CAD, fluidic schematics, electrical schematics and layouts, firmware and software code, and algorithms.
- Working knowledge in developing programs using computer-controlled instrumentation and data collection tools, such LabView.
- Understanding of Object Oriented Programming (OOP) concepts.
- Experience using test equipment such as logic analyzer, oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer and RF signal generator.
- Writing clear, SMART (Specific Measurable Acceptable Realistic and Time-bound) requirements and establishing traceability with design, test cases, and results.
Preferred Additional Experience:
- DNA Sequencers, related automated workflow instrumentation, and applications.
- Quality Control principles and methodology, bringing medical device instrument products to market in under an ISO 13486 compliant Quality System
- Data analysis tools.
- Mechanical and electrical design.
- Firmware and/or software design and coding, programming in Matlab, Python, and C++.
- Risk management tools (such as FMEA)
- DOE and Six Sigma methodology
- Advanced root cause analysis tools (such as Fishbone and 5 Whys).
What we offer:
- An amazing mission: Enabling everyone to decode the living world!
- Competitive compensation and stock options
- Competitive benefits: medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and dependents, fully sponsored life, short and long-term disability insurance, and 401(k) retirement savings plan.
- Free daily catered gourmet lunches and snacks
- Weekly fancy High Tea and happy hours
- Free complex onsite gym membership
- Casual, but high-performing work environment
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of GenapSys' culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies:
Genapsys does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any Genapsys employee. Genapsys will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of Genapsys.