CommonBond is the award-winning finance company where people come first. Our approach is no big secret: lower rates, simpler options, and a world-class experience to support you throughout your student loan journey. We also offer a platform that allows businesses to turn student debt relief into a company benefit. Plus, every time we fund a degree we also pay for a child’s education in the developing world through our Social Promise. We are proud to be named to the World's 50 Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company, Time Magazines Top 50 Most Genius Companies, the 50 Best Places to Work by Inc., and the Forbes Fintech 50. We are backed by great investors, have an awesome team, and are looking for our next great team member.
We work in an high velocity, customer facing Agile development environment, and our cutting-edge tech stack is at the heart of our product innovation. We leverage our continuous delivery system to deploy applications using microservices as soon as your code is committed. Our tech stack is built on top of Kubernetes, utilizing Java and Go to drive service-level APIs. These APIs are consumed by front-end code using React or plumbed through backend services to do heavy data lifting in Kafka and Redshift. Our reliance on thorough test coverage will give you confidence that your code is performing accurately every time you deploy it to production.
You will manage a team of smart, passionate developers who move quickly and get things done. You will be able to work on all aspects of our platform based on your interests. As an Engineering Manager, you would not have to step away from coding, our Managers are "Player/Coaches". We have opportunities for engineers and Managers who specialize in user-interface, backend, event sourcing, database systems and web services. Regardless of which components you touch, we'll want you to be involved in design, coding, testing and running the systems.
- Lead an Agile team of 3-6 developers, SDET/QA engineers and collaborate/pair with your UX designer and product manager
- Keep your coding skills sharp. 50% of your time will be design, coding, testing and running the systems
- Work with product management and stakeholders to define a product backlog
- Lead and conduct Scrum ceremonies -- planning, grooming, reviews and retrospectives
- Manage the performance of your team members, coaching and mentoring them to further their careers
- Contribute to the technical and process innovation of the Engineering department
- Collaborate with other development teams and cross functional groups
- Recruit highly talented engineers for CommonBond, conducting phone screens and on site interviews
- Strong interpersonal & leadership skills
- Keen listening skills & ability to motivate others
- 5+ years of software development background and 1+ years of leadership experience
- Track record of time of making sound business decisions that yielded best possible outcomes
- Ability to through ambiguity and facilitates cross-team decision-making to impact company goals based on data
- Ability to manage conflict, redirect divisiveness to constructive conflict
- Good sense of product/technology/data trade-offs and buy/build/integrate decisions
- Excellent coding, design and architecture skills. Software that is reliable, testable and maintainable should be what you do by default
- You enjoy writing software and take pride in what you build
- Having programmed in Go or Java will help you get going faster, but your primary languages aren't as important as being an effective programmer
- SQL proficiency and/or Kafka experience is a plus
- BA/BS or above from a Computer Science program preferred
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.