Argo AI was founded to tackle one of the most challenging applications in computer science, robotics and artificial intelligence with self-driving vehicles. Argo AI is developing and deploying the latest advancements in artificial intelligence, machine learning and computer vision to help build safe and efficient self-driving vehicles that enable these transformations and more. The challenges are significant, but we are a team that believes in tackling hard, meaningful problems to improve the world.
We are building a high-performance team that is excited by complex engineering challenges and is passionate about making transportation safer, more affordable and accessible for all.
Detection is one of the main challenges for self-driving vehicles and a key part of our autonomy stack. Self-driving cars need to detect objects and actors around the vehicle to make the correct decisions. The implementation must meet rigorous real time constraints and reliably report detections in 2D spaces. Close interaction with downstream teams such as tracking and prediction.. Ultimately, we must not only solve the algorithm challenges but produce safety-quality high performance software. So this position is as much a software challenge as it is a core algorithm challenge.
We are seeking hands on candidates who can set the vision for, grow and lead a strong technical team with a mix of computer vision, machine learning specialists, embedded and real time constraints and low level accelerators (FPGA, GPUs). We are looking for a team lead who will be deep in code, and is technically strong in software and (ideally) strong in applied machine learning algorithms. Candidates need not have worked on self-driving, or robotics applications. Candidates with extremely strong skills in some areas but weaker in others will be considered with a bias towards strong software engineering skills.
What we're looking for:
- Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Robotics or a related field
- Strong software engineering skills are required but we are language agnostic. A willingness to gain stronger software engineering knowledge and deep expertise in C++ and/or python is required
- Strong leadership skills suitable for recruiting, leading and managing a team of engineers to solve a challenging problem and build a critical component of a real-time system
- Strong theoretical and applied knowledge of relevant subsets of detection algorithms
- Strong desire for candidates with hands on experience that have deployed real products or platforms into the real world and intimately understand the challenges of working with complex systems
- Strong presentation and communication skills are desired
Preference for the following:
- Experienced software engineer or research with a track record of real world applications incorporating machine learning (Need not be computer vision, although this is highly preferred)
- Managed or tech lead small teams
- Experienced in Python
- Experienced in C++
- Experienced in Realtime applications
- Machine learning and/or computer vision applications
- Experience with real world applications of machine learning
- GPU expertise
- Classification, scene understanding, object detection classes of algorithms
- Familiarity with Mxnet, caffe, tensorflow or other similar deep net or machine learning packages
What you'll do:
- The core models used for scene understanding that are front and center in the perception pipeline
- Research projects improving not only our current image space but also radar, lidar space detection algorithms and best methods to fuse together to improve performance
- Turning algorithm exploration that performs best on rigorous and pragmatic A vs B experiments evaluated extensively on data into models/software running on the vehicle
- Ensure that the algorithms are integrated within our onboard infrastructure and hardware and meet real time and any other performance related constraint
- Working with data collection to select and label relevant data to improve our supervised training
- Working with label tooling team to adjust labeling policies, and approaches to obtain the best label set needed
- Be able to manage the machine learning debt as well as the push for new algorithm directions that will gain significant performance improvements
- Manage a team of 7+ engineers and researchers
At Argo AI, we have a strong emphasis on creating a highly effective team environment. Thus, we seek candidates that can work effectively with others across a broad range of disciplines.
Argo AI is an equal opportunity employer that believes in diversity as a strength and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We know it takes competitive benefits to fuel a team that works hard and enjoys the challenge. At Argo AI, you can expect stellar perks to support your best self:
- High-quality individual and family health, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-matched 401(k) retirement plan
- Paid parental leave
- Unlimited vacation
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- Free onsite or adjacent parking
- Commuter reimbursement
- Fitness reimbursement
- Professional development reimbursement
Argo AI is a LinkedIn Top 50 Startup