Andela is building an elite engineering organization in Africa to drive the current and future phases of tech-enabled growth around the world. At Andela, we find the most talented technologists and embed them as full-time distributed team members with companies that range from Microsoft and IBM to dozens of high-growth startups. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common.
Andela is a movement. Andela is a collection of brilliant minds across Africa. Andela is a programming sprint followed by a football match, leading into a rooftop dance party. Andela is a platform for tech-enabled growth around the world. Andela is a commitment that while the digital revolution may have begun in Silicon Valley, its future will be written in Lagos, Nairobi, and cities across Africa. If all this is a mouthful, just say TIA: This is Andela.
About the Senior Software Developer Position:
As a Senior Software Developer, you will primarily work as a Lead Developer and Technical Team Lead for one of Andela’s off-shore clients. Our clients operate in a wide-range of industries, but their common thread is that they create mobile and/or web-based products that bring value to their customers through the use of technology.
As the senior member of your client’s Andela team, you will be responsible for managing the delivery of your work as well as any developers that work under you. Our core consulting model is embedded software developers and teams, so although you will be working off-shore, you will be working remotely alongside the client’s team as well as your own. Your day-to-day might include everything from participating in daily standups with your client to estimating the level of effort of work associated with your (and your team’s) tasks.
In addition to your client work, you will also serve as a mentor and technical resource to Andela developers outside of your team.
The specific responsibilities of the Senior Software Developer position include:
- Interfacing with your client to understand their business, goals and visions for products being supported by an Andela Team
- Performing high quality work that not only meets the need of the client, but surpasses it.
- If you are managing a team:
- Ensuring that our developers are able to understand the business context and value of their tasks, as well as how it impacts users.
- Prioritizing the work that your team is responsible for to ensure that you’re always working on the highest value work that helps your clients meet their objectives.
- Working with our engineers to decompose high level stories into smaller, specific tasks and provide high level design support to help them understand how to solve specific coding challenges.
- Provide technical guidance and oversight to ensure that the work delivered is in accordance with the technical standards of your client.
- Encouraging a collaborative team environment
- Regularly reporting the status of your team both to your client as well as senior members of Andela’s Success Department
Qualifications & Characteristics
As the ideal candidate for this role you:
- Are active in the technology ecosystem in your city ex: you organize meet ups, speak at conferences and are active on github
- Are able to pass our Tech Skills Assessment
- Have a four-year degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited university
- Have at least 5 years of experience working in software development
- Is proficient in ANY ONE of the following stacks:
- Ruby/Ruby on Rails
- iOS/Objective C
- Have built iOS or Android mobile apps
- Have experience leading technical teams using Agile methodologies
- Have experience working remotely as an effective member of a team
- Have a vibrant personality and exceptional communication skills (English, verbal and written)
- A strong desire to mentor other developers
- Have the ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Have strong leadership skills.
- Strongly motivated by our social mission of training 100,000 young Africans in the next 10 years.