We are educators and technologists who believe that we can positively impact the world through education. We believe that by creating a platform for education we can achieve our mission of enabling all children to achieve their potential.
We started by opening lab schools to allow educators to explore the educational practices of the future, and then bringing in a technology team to support educators. Together, we’re building an operating system for teaching and learning that makes whole-child, personalized learning possible for students, teachers, parents, and administrators.
In order to achieve our vision of enabling all children to reach their potential, we’re now partnering with forward-thinking schools to impact more students. Together with these innovative partners, we are working to make the best education the most available.
Headquartered in San Francisco, AltSchool is a public benefit corporation and is a Certified B Corp (B Corps are for-profit companies certified by the nonprofit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.)
We are backed by many key investors including Founders Fund, Andreessen Horowitz, and Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan’s donor-advised fund at the Silicon Valley Community Foundation, all of who are committed to helping achieve our goal of making the best education the most accessible.
The Product, Engineering and Design team - fondly known as PED - builds the tools that power AltSchool’s education in classrooms across the US. We work closely with our educator and pedagogy team to build software used by students, teachers, parents, internal operations, and partner schools. We have assembled a world-class team from Google, Facebook, Disney, Apple, Zynga, Palantir and many others. We tackle hard problems in user research, design, product development and engineering that have the potential to change the world.
Senior Infrastructure Engineer
As an Infrastructure engineer, you will be responsible for building a secure and flexible platform that can serve 250k students in the next 4 years. You will also be responsible for developing the machinery that enables customization for individual partner schools as well as seamless deployment and monitoring of multiple mobile and web applications. We are looking for seasoned engineers that have multiple years of relevant experience. An undergraduate degree in Computer Science or a related discipline is required.
- Architecting scalable, secure and flexible platform.
- Implementing continuous integration and deployment of mobile/web applications.
- Implementing monitoring and efficient error reporting.
- Load-testing, profiling, and debugging non-performant user flows.
- Doing relational database administration, such as performing migrations, creating indices in response to slow queries, and normalizing schemas.
- Performing code review for peers.
- Triaging bugs
Our environment is highly collaborative. You will work with a truly cross-disciplinary team in our main office and in our Lab/Partner Schools so
- You should be an above-average communicator.
- This requires some degree of flexibility around occasional events that must happen on a Pacific or Eastern time-friendly schedule(s) is required.
- At least 3 years as a professional Infrastructure engineer. If you have more, that’s great too
- Experience with Kubernetes or similar system for automating deployment, scaling and management of containerized applications.
- Experience with AWS or similar cloud management system.
- Experience with monitoring and logging tools.
- Experience with relational databases administration.
- Experience doing *nix administration.
- Experience with a modern source code control system. We use Git
- Experience writing code in a modern programming language. We mainly use Python
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science or a related discipline is required.
Bonus points for these...
- A passion for making education awesome
- You love the rollercoaster ride of a startup that is learning and evolving
- Experience with developing Infrastructure for Enterprise Software
- You’re contributing to your favorite Open Source projects
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- Free lunch and snacks
- AltSchool tuition assistance
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume. We'd also like to review your Github profile or some example code that you’re particularly proud of.
Special School Employment Requirements
All AltSchool employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law and permitted by New York state law prior to their start dates at AltSchool. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with AltSchool would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Please be aware that while AltSchool is able to facilitate transfers for certain types of work visas, we are generally unable to offer original visa sponsorship. Please apply if you'd like to be considered for the role.