What is Platform at Airbnb?
Airbnb is the world's largest marketplace for space, and we keep getting bigger every day. With over 100M nights booked per year and counting, we're constantly tackling challenges in search algorithms, payments, fraud prevention, and growth — all while maintaining a beautiful user experience. To support the rapid growth in our business, we've also rapidly grown our engineering team.
What is the Support Products (SuP) team at Airbnb?
The Support Products team ensures that the people using Airbnb are well taken care of when a part of their experience does not go according to plan. Our goal is to get people’s problems solved as quickly and satisfactorily as possible, whether via self-solve, or by routing you to the best possible agent and giving that agent the tools to resolve your issue. When something goes wrong, a fast and fair resolution can make the difference between whether you’ll book with Airbnb again. Being efficient here is not only good for customers, it can also make the difference between whether our business is profitable.
What is a Generalist at Airbnb?
Generalist engineers at Airbnb operate at all levels, including core services, data pipelines, essential business systems, and customer-facing features. We’re responsible for a range of product surfaces across Host and Guest experiences in the dynamic marketplace, and the initiatives we drive span across foundational core infrastructure to rapid feature iteration. Generalist engineers play an impactful role on all sub-teams within Support Products.
- Voice and Data: 60% of Airbnb contactors reach us on the phone. These are the hardest types of contacts to handle because we can’t easily ask triage questions. The voice team is responsible for handling these contacts in the most efficient manner possible.
- Agent Tools: The Agent Tools team builds the core tools serving Airbnb’s thousands of CX Agents and Partners. Agents spend their days living in the tools we create, viewing user data, managing support tickets, and executing workflows. Our tools not only impact the joy of Agents, but also ultimately serve to improve Airbnb’s customers’ experience by enabling Agents to solve user issues faster and more effectively. 60% of Airbnb contactors reach us on the phone. These are the hardest types of contacts to handle because we can’t easily ask triage questions. The voice team is responsible for handling these contacts in the most efficient manner possible.
- Agent Intelligence: SuP Agent Intelligence team provides the best practice and knowledge to our internal agents through tools. We collect and analyze the data from agents' behavior, then recommend the most efficient way to solve the customer issues. We aim to surface the right information at the right time, and ensure the customers are treated the right way. Example projects include Smart coupons, which recommends coupon value based on the contextual data, and guided workflow that helps agents walk through complex issues to do the right thing.
- Agent Infra: The SuP Agent Infra team are the shepherds of the core underlying infrastructure for our agent-facing tools and services. We’re an enabling team inside an enabling team: by building and maintaining a scalable and secure software architecture, we enable the product roadmaps of all of Support Products to be successful and scalable. With our help, SuP tackles the problems facing Airbnb CX not only today, but in the future - such as a growing user base of global agents, an increase in business volume and a multitude of existing and new products.
- Self Solve: In Self Solve, our goal is to give our customers simple ways to solve problems on their own, without having to involve customer support agents. For customers, the benefit is quicker, smoother resolution (no need to wait on hold or for an email reply). For our business, it saves money and allows our support agents to focus on those issues that cannot be self-solved.
- 2+ years industry experience
- Passion for delivering products end-to-end, from ideation through planning and /scoping to implementation and experimental A/B testing
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web applications, such as well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, and efficient algorithms.
- Experience or desire to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with design, product, data science, and research partners
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
The Support Products team is growing in Airbnb’s Portland and Seattle offices.